Monday, July 11, 2011

Guest Blog on DoL: Kylee

"To live a creative life we must lose our fear of being wrong"
--Joseph Chilton Pearce

     Today, many people fixate themselves on body image. They want to be perfect. People want to feel good about themselves. They all want to look in the mirror and smile, totally accepting their body because it is society's definition of person. Many teenage girls believe that perfection can be reached. But the real truth is, no one's perfect. No one can reach that ultimate goal of perfection, no matter how hard they may try.

      First off, let me explain the word perfect. Perfect is considered an abstract noun, meaning everyone has their own definition of the word. So clearly, not everyone thinks alike when the word "perfect" pops into their head. Personally, when I think of the word perfect I think of someone tall, blonde, blue eyes, beach girl, basically the typical Barbie doll. Most likely, teenaged girl's ideas of perfect, including mine, are probably out of this world considering all of the things we are exposed to.
     
      Even though I'm only 13, I've been exposed to it all. The magazines, TV shows, movies, they all play a factor in the idea of perfection. Take the show 
America's Next Top Model for example, I sit on my couch, apple in hand, almost every day, begging myself to get thinner so I may grow up to be a model. When the realization of the matter is, the "ideal" woman portrayed by models is 5'11" and 117 pounds. So basically, most girls my age want to be sticks. Which, in all reality is really, truly, very sickening. This leads teenage girls into developing eating disorders and depression. I wish I could sway someone's idea of how they look, but it's almost impossible. Your body image is what you think of yourself, and once media and magazines, sway that idea, it is quite difficult to accept yourself once again.

unknown.png

Girls need to realize: you can't please everyone. The only one that you're going to have to put up with is yourself. If people don't like your hair, or your curves, then so what? They're not in your body, you are. From personal experience I know it's hard to not want to please everyone. I've had tons of comments thrown at me. "Your thighs are huge, go to the gym already!"  "Try straightening your hair once and a while, you'll look prettier!"   Prettier? In life it isn't about being pretty, and in all honesty looks don't matter that much. The inside matter way more than the outside. The thing is though, you can't let the people, media, or the magazines push you around. Because if you do, you'll end up like a carbon copy. You'll be miserable once you find out that, this isn't what you want to be. That you wasted your time trying to be something you're not for someone whom you don't have to put up with for the rest of your life. My body image of myself was horrible and corrupted. I wanted to be sickly thin, ribs sticking out, size 0. Of course I'm not like that now, cause I finally realize that no one's perfect. I'm 5'3", 144.8, size 11, and B36, which is clearly, now here near a model's weight or height.

The cure to this epidemic of distorted body images is confidence, which takes a lot of time to build up. It's hard, and I'm still working on it. I'm working on loving myself too. But the thing is, whenever I fall, break down, or just start to cry, I never give up completely. The next day I am back on my feet again, positivity flowing through my body. It's a difficult, strenuous, challenge to be able to have confidence, and finally accept your body. But I have faith in you, and I bet a lot of other people do too. Everyone reading this, do me a favor and stand in front of the mirror, and instead of pointing out all of the negative, point out just ONE thing you love about yourself. Then eventually, you'll come to accept yourself.

unknown.png

No comments:

Post a Comment